- You’ll find outstanding Double Plus (A++) sound on both sides of this superb Verve stereo original LP
- The huge, rich orchestral sound captured so beautifully by Val Valentin is always one of the highlights of these songbooks
- By the time this one came out in 1964 Ella had already recorded 18 LPs of songbooks – this was the last, going out on a high note
- Some of the Mercer Classics here are Too Marvelous For Words, Day In-Day Out, Laura, Skylark, Midnight Sun, I Remember You
- AMG raves “this is one of the best of Ella Fitzgerald’s songbooks. Fitzgerald’s assured and elegant voice is a perfect match for Mercer’s urbane lyrics and Nelson Riddle’s supple arrangements…”
When you are lucky enough to find a album that sounds as good as this one, full of standards from the Great American Songbook, you cannot help but recognize that this era for Ella will never be equaled, by her or anyone else.
The recording is outstanding, with huge amounts of space and the kind of richness in the midrange that might just take your breath away. (more…)