- An outstanding copy of Fistoulari’s powerful and exciting recording with solid Double Plus (A++) sound or BETTER throughout
- So transparent, dynamic and REAL, this copy raises the bar for the sound of ballet music on vinyl
- The most popular ballet in the world with out-of-this-world Decca engineered All Tube sound – it’s a match!
- It took us years to find enough copies to do this shootout – not many copies will play as quietly as this one
- “It is a superb account of Swan Lake, perhaps better than most recordings out there. Maestro Fistoulari and the Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam are in top form.”
This London UK import is one of the best single-disc versions of the ballet we have ever played. This is the one folks, assuming you do not want a (nearly) complete performance of the work. (For that we recommend the 2 LP box set with Ansermet.)
Note that the big finale at the end of side two is loud and HUGE on this album. There is a touch of compressor overload, but no actual inner groove distortion. At first we thought the former may have indeed been the latter because we had a copy or two with chewed-up inner grooves.
This one plays clean to the end, and boy does it get loud and powerful at the climax of the work. (more…)