- This early Black Label RCA pressing boasts stunning Shootout Winning Triple Plus (A+++) sound or very close to it on all four sides
- A very large group of musicians will transport themselves directly into your listening room, Harry included, all backing him live on the stage in real time and in ANALOG
- The palpable presence and performance energy of the man himself are really something to hear, and a copy this good lets you REALLY hear it
- Harry Pearson made his reputation bringing this kind of amazing recording to the attention of the audiophile public, and for that we owe him a debt of gratitude
- This is one of the pressings we’ve discovered with Reversed Polarity.
- 5 stars: “The granddaddy of all live albums, this double-LP set captures the excitement of a Harry Belafonte concert at the height of his popularity.”
We’ve long known that some copies of the album are mastered with the polarity reversed. This is one of those copies.
But the crazy news we have today is that this copy of the records sound just fine without adjusting the system polarity, better than any other copy we played.
It sounds a bit better with your polarity reversed, but it is still our Shootout Winner even with the polarity wrong.
I would never have believed that to be the case in the past, but my theory is that the new studio we built has reduced distortions and problems to such a degree that polarity issues are less of a problem now than they might have been in the past.
As I say, it’s just a theory, and as time goes on we will revisit this idea with other recordings that we know to have polarity issues, and we’ll be sure to let you know what we find. (more…)