- Stunning Shootout Winning Triple Plus (A+++) sound or very close to it on both sides of this incredible Discwasher Direct-to-Disc Japanese import pressing
- One of our all time favorite Direct-to-Discs; Piano Trio doesn’t get much better than this
- Paul Smith is an underrated jazz player – most of his albums as a leader are forgettable (we should know, we’ve played a bunch of them), but on this album he swings and really makes music with his two bandmates
- The playing is extremely energetic and involving, the sound is some of the best we’ve heard, and the engineering is by Phil Schier, who also recorded another favorite direct disc of ours, Friendship, and we recommend both albums highly
- If you want a good jazz Direct-to-Disc, you would be hard pressed to find one better than this
- If you’re a fan of Live Jazz Piano Trio recordings, recorded direct to disc or otherwise, this is a killer record from 1978 that belongs in your collection.
- The complete list of titles from 1978 that we’ve reviewed to date can be found here.
This record probably doesn’t have the reputation it deserves because it came out on the Discwasher label, which to my knowledge, only made one good record, this one. The same metalwork would have been used to make the version Pausa released, and that fairly common pressing may be virtually identical to this Discwasher pressing. (more…)