- An superb sounding copy of an album that almost never hits the site; Double Plus (A++) sound or BETTER throughout
- Both sides are super rich, full and Tubey Magical with plenty of energy and big bottom end — Gaye’s vocals sound wonderful here
- “What’s Going On is not only Marvin Gaye’s masterpiece, it’s the most important and passionate record to come out of soul music… arguably the best soul album of all time.” — All Music, 5 stars
Way more spacious and transparent than most copies yet still super rich and smooth in the midrange. Listen to the bells and percussion — there’s real ambience around them for once! The vocals are full and present, the bottom end is big and solid, and the soundstage is open and three-dimensional. So good!
I don’t know how many copies like this we’ll be able to track down, so if you’re a fan of this great music you should probably snap this one up. Most copies we’ve brought in were beat to death, full of groove damage or just sonically unimpressive.
What do the best Hot Stamper pressing give you?
- Energy for starters. What could be more important than the life of the music?
- The Big Sound comes next — wall to wall, lots of depth, huge space, three-dimensionality, all that sort of thing.
- Then transient information — fast, clear, sharp attacks, not the smear and thickness so common to these LPs.
- Tight punchy bass — which ties in with good transient information, also the issue of frequency extension further down.
- Next: transparency — the quality that allows you to hear deep into the soundfield, showing you the space and air around all the instruments.
- Then: presence and immediacy. The vocals aren’t back there somewhere, lost in the mix. They’re front and center where any recording engineer worth his salt would have put them.
- Extend the top and bottom and voila, you have The Real Thing — an honest to goodness Hot Stamper.
What’s Going On
What’s Happening Brother
Flyin’ High (In the Friendly Sky)
Save the Children
God Is Love
Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
AMG 5 Star Review
What’s Going On is not only Marvin Gaye’s masterpiece, it’s the most important and passionate record to come out of soul music, delivered by one of its finest voices, a man finally free to speak his mind and so move from R&B sex symbol to true recording artist. With What’s Going On, Gaye meditated on what had happened to the American dream of the past — as it related to urban decay, environmental woes, military turbulence, police brutality, unemployment, and poverty… What’s Going On was far and away the best full-length to issue from the singles-dominated Motown factory, and arguably the best soul album of all time.