Sonic Grade: F
A Hall of Shame pressing and another Simply Vinyl pressing debunked.
Awful in every way. Made from a dub of the master tapes and then mastered poorly.
Phill (That’s Two L’s) Brown
I recently looked up the engineer for the album and am rather shocked that I never paid much attention to his body of work before.
He assisted on some amazing sounding records, many that we’ve auditioned and some that we’ve done Hot Stamper shootouts for and know to be superb recordings:
- Arthur Brown – Crazy World of Arthur Brown
- Joe Cocker – With a Little Help From My Friends (Superb)
- Small Faces – Ogden’s Nutgone Flake
- Traffic – Mr Fantasy (WOW! The Best of the Best)
- Jimi Hendrix – All Along The Watchtower
- Rolling Stones – Beggars Banquet
- Steve Miller Band – Sailor
- Spooky Tooth – Spooky Two (Superb)
And these are a sample of favorites he engineered:
- Harry Nilsson – Nilsson Schmilsson
- Jeff Beck – Rough and Ready
- Robert Palmer – Sneakin’ Sally Through The Alley
- Roxy Music – Manifesto
The first and third can be superb, the other two merely good in our experience.