- With two seriously good Double Plus (A++) sides, this copy was one of the best we played in our recent shootout
- Tie Your Mother Down and Somebody to Love are both wonderful sounding on this EARLY British pressing
- It’s incredibly difficult to find big, bold, lively sound like this for Queen – it takes us years to do the shootout
- “Its sleek, streamlined finish is the biggest indication that Queen has entered a new phase, where they’re globe-conquering titans instead of underdogs on the make.”
The best sounding side ones were rarely as good as the best sounding side twos.
Even the good side ones tended to have a trace of harmonic distortion and compression that is simply nowhere to be found on the good side twos. How and why this is we have no idea. Since every copy had the same sonic issues we discounted it in our grading. Only the better copies bring the hits on side one to life and give them the size and power we know they can have. (more…)
Sonic Grade: F
Murky, opaque and compressed: yes, we can agree it has never been an especially good sounding record on anything but the most difficult to find UK pressings, but does it deserve this kind of mastering disrespect? Isn’t the idea to try and FIX what is wrong, rather than to make it worse? At collector prices no less. Don’t waste your money.
Check out our Heavy Vinyl Scorecard to read all about the latest winners and losers.
- A stunning sounding copy — Triple Plus (A+++) on side two and Double Plus (A++) on side one
- Powerful sound throughout: incredibly huge and present with amazing clarity and lots of detail
- Some of the best Queen sound you’ll ever hear — We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions sound great here
- “…it’s massive, earth-shaking rock & roll, the sound of a band beginning to revel in its superstardom.” — Allmusic customers give it 4 1/2 Stars and that rating sounds about right to us
It is ridiculously tough to find decent sound for Queen. We’ve suffered through a lot of fruitless shootouts, but this album is clearly a cut above most of their recordings. On a copy like this, it’s absolutely stunning!
Side one starts out with Queen’s back-to-back anthemic classics, “We Will Rock You” and “We Are the Champions”. Does it get any better for a Queen fan? Hell no. (more…)