- Amazing “Triple Triple” sound from start to finish with both sides earning our top A+++ grade
- This album KILLS on a copy like this — lively, spacious, rich and clear. You won’t find better SMB sound on vinyl!
- The title track and Take The Money and Run both sound amazing, as does everything else
- “The key is focus, even on an album as stylishly, self-consciously trippy as this, since the focus brings about his strongest set of songs (both originals and covers), plus a detailed atmospheric production where everything fits.”
On this killer copy you get plenty of richness and warmth, front and center immediacy, extension both up top and down low, and loads of energy. The synths have texture, the guitars are full-bodied and the bottom end is nice and meaty.
The top end of this album is a problem on most pressings — dry and somewhat brittle — but on a copy like this the highs are silky sweet and smooth. The soundfield is open and transparent with three-dimensional space that brings out the “trippy” qualities the band threw in all over this album.
To break it down further, what amazing sides such as these have to offer is not hard to hear:
- The biggest, most immediate staging in the largest acoustic space
- The most Tubey Magic, without which you have almost nothing. CDs give you clean and clear. Only the best vintage vinyl pressings offer the kind of Tubey Magic that was on the tapes in 1976
- Tight, note-like, rich, full-bodied bass, with the correct amount of weight down low
- Natural tonality in the midrange — with all the instruments (and effects!) having the correct timbre
- Transparency and resolution, critical to hearing into the three-dimensional studio space
- No doubt there’s more but we hope that should do for now. Playing the record is of course the only way to hear all of the above
We originally went into this shootout without high expectations, but we were BLOWN AWAY by the sound of the best copies. Not only did we find some that actually delivered the spacey goods, but the best of the best were actually Demo Disc quality! We never expected to hear this music sound so good. (more…)