- An amazing copy: Triple Plus (A+++) on the second side, Double Plus (A++) on the first
- Big, rich, and open – we guarantee you have never heard this album sound even remotely as good as this copy sounds
- Pick Up The Pieces is rockin’ like it should, finally, but really, there’s not a weak track on the album
- “AWB embraced soul and funk with so much conviction that it was clear this was anything but an “average” white band.” 4 1/2 Stars
Having done this shootout a number of times since we first discovered a hot sounding copy all the way back in 2007, it’s hard to imagine this music sounding any better than this very copy. It’s smooth, sweet, airy, open, spacious and ALIVE. The best sounding songs here truly have Master Tape Sound.
We’ve been playing this record for years, but until finding a very Hot copy back in 2007 we had no idea what a sonic monster it could be. We didn’t have enough clean copies around to do a full shootout at that time for a very good reason — we’d NEVER heard this record sound particularly good before. The typical copy tends to be smeary, with sour horns and not very much energy.
The overall sound on both sides is lively and energetic with superb transparency. The bass is deep, rich, and tight — just what this funky music demands. The brass sounds wonderful — it has just the right amount of bite and you can really hear the air moving through the horns.
Classic White Soul
What the best sides of this Classic Album from 1974 have to offer is not hard to hear:
- The biggest, most immediate staging in the largest acoustic space
- The most Tubey Magic, without which you have almost nothing. CDs give you clean and clear. Only the best vintage vinyl domestic pressings like this one offer the kind of Tubey Magic that was on the tapes in 1974
- Tight, note-like, rich, full-bodied bass, with the correct amount of weight down low
- Natural tonality in the midrange — with all the saxes, horns, guitars and drums having the correct sound for this kind of recording
- Transparency and resolution, critical to hearing into the three-dimensional space of the studio
No doubt there’s more but we hope that should do for now
Playing the record is the only way to hear all of the above, and playing the best pressings against a pile of other copies under rigorously controlled conditions is the only way to find a pressing that sounds as good as this one does.
You Got It
Got The Love
Pick Up The Pieces
Pick Up The Pieces often has a bit of radio EQ going on – it can be slightly midrangy at times, depending on how good your copy is of course.
Person To Person
Work To Do
Nothing You Can Do
Just Wanna Love You Tonight
Keepin’ It To Myself
I Just Can’t Give You Up
There’s Always Someone Waiting