- The best copy to hit the site in close to two years, with both sides rating at or near our top grade of Triple Plus (A+++)
- Huge, spacious and three-dimensional with plenty of rich Tubey Magic – who knew it could sound this good?
- 75% of the songs on both sides are absolute Little Feat Classics. What other album can boast such consistently good songwriting?
- Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt and Fran Tate (the future Mrs. Billy Payne) contribute the lovely background vocals
- “If Dixie Chicken represented a pinnacle of Lowell George as a songwriter and band leader, its sequel Feats Don’t Fail Me Now is the pinnacle of Little Feat as a group, showcasing each member at their finest.”
It’s getting mighty hard to find clean copies of practically all the pre-Waiting For Columbus titles.
The good news we have to offer this time as opposed to last is that we can now clearly say that Feats Don’t Fail Me Now is the best sounding album of the first four the band recorded. We think the songs are great too; we would hope that goes without saying. Waiting For Columbus — their live masterpiece and inarguably the definitive recording statement by the band — has at least one song from this album on each of its four sides. That ought to tell you something. If only we could find good sounding copies! But enough about that album. Let’s talk about this one.
The Best Songs
75% of the songs on both sides are absolute Little Feat Classics. What other album can boast such consistently good songwriting?
Rock & Roll Doctor; Oh, Atlanta; Skin It Back; Spanish Moon; Feats Don’t Fail Me Now; Medley: Cold Cold Cold/Tripe Face Boogie
This is where the band really hit their stride. (The next album is a personal favorite as well.)
What to Listen for
So many pressings are either dull or thin that tonality becomes a major issue on an album like this.
The copies that do well in our shootouts are rich and full-bodied, but not thick, opaque or dull. They must also of course have plenty of rock and roll energy and rhythmic drive.
Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt and Fran Tate (the future Mrs. Billy Payne) sing lovely background vocals on this record. Those Little Feat guys sure know how to pick ’em.